Written by Riley West.
As a professional networking organization, WCA offers its members several free career services. We want to give all of our members access to the tools they need to succeed in their career. Whether it’s sharing job postings, reviewing resumes or providing networking opportunities, we’ve got our members covered. Below are the various career services we offer our members.
1. Online Job Bank
Members have access to post and review the job bank. Since we are a professional networking organization, it’s important to help each other stay informed of openings. To access the job bank, click here.
2. Mentor Program
We offer a valuable mentoring service for our members and for affiliated students. Mentees can ask questions, receive a resume review, specific career guidance or longer term mentoring.
What mentors can do:
- Review resumes and provide input
- Speed Mentoring
- Short term mentoring: provide guidance on a specific topic requiring limited involvement. For instance, someone looking for assistance through a job application and interview process.
- Longer term mentoring: students looking for on-going career guidance; professionals looking to brainstorm and implement career moves, discuss challenges at work, or find a sounding board for creative development.
- Help mentees answer a series of questions to gain clarity on their talents, strengths, and career interests. This can be part of a short or long term mentoring arrangement.
- Provide honest feedback about resumes, cover letters, portfolios, and other professional materials. This can be part of a short or long term mentoring arrangement.
What mentors cannot do:
- Provide professional-grade career coaching sessions. WCA has many members qualified to provide that service for a fee.
- Provide specific logistical assistance in starting or revamping a business venture.
- Provide any kind of psychological input or feedback beyond a friendly ear and helpful suggestions based on their own professional experiences.
3. Careers over Coffee
Careers Over Coffee is the perfect forum for those who like small groups and good conversation. We offer these breakfast get-togethers once a month at north and south locations. Come prepared to meet other like-minded professionals and discuss your career in an intimate setting. Attendees get to choose the career-related topics they’d like to discuss.
4. Connect over Cocktails
Connect over Cocktails is WCA’s signature networking event. These happy hours are open to members and non-members, yet remain small enough to allow attendees to make quality connections. While there is no formal program, WCA board members are available to answer questions about the organization. For those of you who have not yet joined WCA, this is a great way to meet some of the members and decide if WCA is a good fit for you.
Connect over Cocktails is held every other month, February — October, from 6 to 8 p.m. at various locations in Austin. Events may be co-hosted with other professional development groups in the Austin area.
If you have any questions about our career services offerings or would like to participate in these programs, please contact us at email@example.com.