Our organization was founded in 1929 by students from the University of Texas at Austin as Theta Sigma Phi. As those students moved into the workforce, a Professional Chapter was formed. In 1973, Theta Sigma Phi changed its name to Women in Communications, Inc., and later to the Association for Women in Communications (AWC).
Our organization functioned as a chapter of the national AWC organization, but in 1997, we independently incorporated as a 501(c)3 in part to ensure that operation of the Austin organization could be continued regardless of what might happen on the national level.
As the city of Austin grew in size and prominence, so did our organization. In fact, it became the largest chapter of the national AWC organization, producing more programming than the national organization. After much research and consideration, the Austin leadership determined that it would be better able to serve the needs of its members with complete autonomy. Therefore, in 2013, the affiliation between what had been the Austin chapter of AWC and the national organization was discontinued, and Women Communicators of Austin was born.
We continue our long-held tradition of being the resource communicators across all disciplines seek for professional development, mentoring and for support from fellow active and well-connected members.
Support our tradition by joining or renewing your membership today!